A healthy and light quinoa salad loaded with raspberries, basil, goat cheese and a light balsamic dressing. A perfect summer salad that’s gluten-free and vegetarian!
So just in case you haven’t clued in yet (or maybe you’re not even Canadian and don’t even care), Canada day is at a really awkward time this year.
Like super awkward.
Doesn’t Canada Day or more importantly, my day off, usually fall sometime around the weekend?
This year it falls right smack in the middle of the week.
Now I love having a long weekend and everything, but I definitely can’t complain about getting a day off on a Wednesday.
We are having our traditional Canada day backyard potluck this week.
Socializing, sunshine (hopefully), and lots of good food.
I thought a nice refreshing quinoa salad would be the perfect dish to prepare.
I’ve always enjoyed planning a menu according to a specific theme.
So for Canada day this year, I decided to go with the red and white theme.
What I love about quinoa is that it’s SO versatile.
You can throw anything in there from cheese and nuts, to chocolate and dried fruit to put a totally different spin on it.
This time around, I decided to do a sweet and savoury quinoa salad.
It’s right around that time of year where raspberries are in season, so what better way to incorporate a dose of flavour and antioxidants than by using some fresh and juicy raspberries?!
Add in some crumbled goat cheese and you’ve got a very patriotic quinoa salad.
Look at that red and whiteness.
The green basil could technically make it Italian, but we’ll just ignore the colour of the basil for this week. Deal?
Plus that flavour combo tastes great with anything from chicken to beef, or any other tasty foods that will be sizzling up on the grill.
Can’t wait to see some of the other patriotic dishes at the BBQ!
Now before I forget….there are only TWO days left to enter the giveaway for the $280 Williams Sonoma gift card!
If you don’t want to miss out on the awesome prize, enter to win below! It’s your last chance!!
Good luck & Happy Canada Day!!!
TERMS and CONDITIONS: Contest runs from June 17, 2015 – July 1, 2015. Winner will be chosen randomly using Rafflecopter as the deciding force. Rafflecopter partners with Random.org to choose the winning entrant. No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase does not improve your chance of winning. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway is open to legal residents of the United States of America, Canada and the United Kingdom.
**FYI, fake accounts & spammers will be disqualified and not eligible to win.
- 1 cup dry quinoa, cooked according to package directions*
- 4 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (heaping full), rinsed and patted dry
- 8 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together quinoa, almonds, and basil until evenly distributed. Pour the dressing into the bowl and mix until well combined. Add in goat cheese and raspberries. Gently fold to distribute throughout salad.
- Eat immediately, or chill for later. If you're going to chill it, leave out the raspberries and goat cheese and throw them in just before eating.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 233 • Fat: 11 g • Carbohydrates: 27 g • Fibre: 4 g • Protein: 7g • Sugar: 5 g • Sodium: 34 mg • Cholesterol: 5mg