These creamy mashed potatoes are filled with flavours of maple, sweet potatoes and coconut, and topped with crunchy chopped pecans. Packed full of vitamin C and vitamin A, it makes the perfect healthy and comforting dish for those chilly autumn days!
So here we are.
The second last day of September.
Here in Canada, Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away!
Woah baby! Is it just me or did September go by REALLY fast?
There’s something about the thought of Thanksgiving that gives me this warm and fuzzy feeling inside.
Every year, that same feeling comes back right around this time.
I love the thought of gathering with family, all of the amazing food, fall colours changing, and reflecting on everything that there is to be grateful for.
How often do we do that in life?
Probably not often enough.
That’s why I love this holiday SO much.
Want to know what I also love?
I know you’re dying to know ;)
This creamy sweet potato coconut mash.
It’s absolutely heavenly…and so creamy. It pairs perfectly with turkey and all of those other Thanksgiving fixin’s.
For me, Thanksgiving isn’t complete without a sweet potato dish.
Most recipes that you find out there though are loaded with brown sugar, marshmallows (which in my opinion is kind of weird), and butter.
Not so friendly for the heart or on the waistline.
It probably tastes good, but you know me…I’m always trying to put a healthier spin on recipes while still making them taste (and look) delicious.
So that’s where this healthier sweet potato recipe came about.
It’s been a tradition for our Thanksgiving meal for the past few years now.
I think my mom and I could polish it off ourselves!
The coconut milk and cinnamon bring out that natural sweetness in the potatoes, while the pecans add a nice crunch. Not to mention the nutrients packed in this dish! It’s loaded with vitamin A, C, potassium, fibre, and of course those heart healthy fats from the nutty topping.
And just an extra tip, I find it especially tastes great when mixed in a food processor.
Talk about CREA-MY!
I know that this dish will be appearing once again this upcoming Thanksgiving.
Stay thankful, my friends!
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (3 1/2 to 4 lb), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup unsalted pecan halves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes, return to boiling and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer potatoes to the bowl of a food processor or stand mixer (or use a large bowl and a hand-held electric mixer).
- Add coconut milk, cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup, salt, and black pepper to potatoes. Mix on medium until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl once or twice. Transfer to a 9 x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle pecans evenly over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes and serve.
Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine
Nutrients per serving:
Servings: 10 • Calories: 197 • Fat: 4 g • Carbohydrates: 38 g • Fibre: 6 g • Protein: 3 g • Sugar: 9 g • Sodium: 217 mg • Cholesterol: 0 mg