Craving falafels? These burgers have the same taste and texture as falafels, but are less labour-intensive. A great vegetarian option that’s full of fibre and protein!
True story. I LOVE falafels, but usually I don’t have the time or energy to slap together 20-30 little patties every time I want to make them from scratch. Especially being the perfectionist I am. Every little patty would have to be perfectly formed or else they’ll fall apart into a big heap of crumbs. No thanks! Enter these falafel burgers. They have the same ingredients and taste of a falafel but are a lot less work to make. I can totally slap together 6 patties in no time! Plus, they’re bursting with flavour, especially when you top them up with the Greek yogurt tahini spread. YUM!
I tried them with lettuce wraps, in a salad, with a bun and on a tortilla and they were equally good every time. They make a great meatless option and are packed full of fibre and protein! And with the addition of the shredded carrot, it’s a great way to sneak in some extra veggies and vitamin A!
- 1 15oz can no salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or about 2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 large handful of parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 tbsp. Tamari
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Olive oil for brushing
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the chickpeas in a food processor and process until the mixture reaches a mashed consistency. Alternatively, you can mash the chickpeas in a bowl with a potato masher or fork.
- Next, add the mashed chickpeas and remaining burger ingredients, except for the olive oil, to a large bowl. Mix the ingredients until well combined. You may need to add a bit of water to help the mixture bind together. If mixture doesn’t stick together, add one tablespoon of water at a time until it binds together (I added two tablespoons of water).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your hands, form the chickpea mixture into 6 evenly sized patties and place them spaced apart on the parchment paper. Lightly brush the surface of the patties with olive oil. Bake in the oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned, flipping after about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the spread in a small bowl. Serve falafel burgers on a lettuce wrap, bun, or pita or in a salad topped with the Greek Yogurt Tahini spread.
Nutrients per serving:
Servings: 6 • Calories: 317 • Fat: 20 g • Carbohydrates: 26g • Fibre: 7g • Protein: 14g • Sugar: 3g • Sodium: 334mg • Cholesterol: 0 mg
Adapted from Thrive Market