Yesterday, I celebrated my 27th birthday. Woo hoo!! 27 already. Hard to believe.
With the hugs, birthday wishes and double chocolate brownie birthday cake (yum) also came a great deal of reflection and emotion.
Not emotion in the sense that another year has gone by, but more so emotion triggered by reflecting on all of the incredible blessings that have been poured into my life throughout the past 27 years.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend the day with my family, sharing stories, memories, laughter and tears. As I’ve gotten older and life has gotten busier, those moments don’t happen as often as they used to, so when they do, it’s something to be cherished.
When I first woke up, my mom presented me with an amazing little book that just happened to also be a huge tear jerker. She got me to read it out loud, and by the end of it, we were all in tears. The book was all about little reminders to follow your heart. If I’ve learned one thing in my 27 years, that lesson would be to follow your heart and dream big.
As much as I love to inspire others with healthy recipes and pretty style, I also like to reflect and provide insight on what I’ve learned in my 27 years in this world. Not a long time, I know. But it’s long enough that I’ve been able to look back and reflect on some of the meaningful lessons that I’ve learned over the years.
Here are my top 27 lessons learned:
- Happiness is found in what you have, not in striving for what you don’t have.
- Believe in yourself even when you feel that no one else does. Confidence in yourself will be the bridge that carries you over doubts.
- There will be many mountains and valleys in life. Be grateful for the mountains and persevere through the valleys. Hope can survive all trials.
- Take time to pray and spend time with God. It is during these quiet times that you can truly hear the voice of God speak.
- When you believe in something, stand your ground. Don’t change or compromise just because you’re outnumbered or for fear of what others think.
- Be optimistic. See sunshine where others see shadows and opportunities where others see obstacles.
- Rely on God to help you turn large problems into small ones and small ones into nothing at all.
- Take care of your body and tend the garden of your soul. It’s the only place that you have to live.
- Never allow what you can’t do interfere with what you can do.
- Have the fortitude and faith to hang on to what’s important when others have let go.
- Realize that your failures and mistakes are merely steps of learning on your path to better tomorrows.
- Never have a day without laughing or loving, giving or forgiving.
- Smile even when you don’t feel like it. You never know when it might make someone else’s day.
- Take time when needed to silence the noise in your head and heart and remind yourself of what you truly want out of life.
- Dare to do the undoable.
- Recognize that all great achievements take time. And when you achieve great things, be grateful, kind and maintain a humble heart.
- Always find the sparkle that’s hidden in the gloomiest of days.
- When you hug, hug tight. When you talk, talk with your eyes. When you listen, listen with your heart.
- Learn to sail in all winds and across the seas of change. Change happens. Get used to it.
- Find joy in everything that you do. Never allow the music in your soul to fade into silence.
- Find your passion and pursue it. Make every moment count.
- Fall in love. There is no greater feeling in the world than finding someone that you adore, and who adores you in return.
- Live life right now, and don’t wait until, until, until….there’s no better time to start living than right at this very moment.
- Spend time with people that you admire and soak up every word they say. You can learn a great deal from their wisdom and experience.
- Do what you love. Find work that makes you happy. Live life with gusto. Positive energy is infectious.
- Be a positive role model. You never know who might be watching you.
- Life is short. Never take a single moment for granted.