This asparagus and tomato salad is light, refreshing and bursting with flavour. The perfect side dish to serve at your next summer BBQ!
Last week we finally pulled out the barbecue…it’s about time….it’s almost May for crying out loud! I absolutely LOVE barbecue season. Everything just tastes SO much better on the grill. We’ve been whipping up lots of delicious meals from these Roasted Garlic & Chicken Feta Burgers to these flavourful BBQ Chips Chicken Kabobs. One of my favourite meals to have when the warmer weather hits is grilled up chicken or burgers along with a delicious and refreshing salad.
Enter this amazing Asparagus & Tomato Salad. I originally got inspired to whip up this salad because this month at work, we’re featuring foods for digestive health. Asparagus and tomatoes just happen to be a source of prebiotics which provide food for the probiotics or healthy bacteria in our digestive tract. When I served this salad up, I never imagined it would be such a hit! Who would’ve thought that asparagus and tomatoes would taste so delicious together! And the dressing is out of this world. The avocado provides a wonderful creaminess to the dressing and the feta pumps up the flavour, while adding some protein. This salad might just become a new favourite at those summer BBQs ;)
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 2 pints cherry and grape tomatoes in varied colours, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled light feta cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus and boil for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine asparagus, tomatoes, avocado, feta cheese and basil. Toss until evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the asparagus mixture and toss to combine.
Nutrients per serving:
Servings: 8• Calories: 194 • Fat: 9 g • Carbohydrates: 5 g • Fibre: 2 g • Protein: 5 g • Sugar: 2 g • Sodium: 175 mg • Cholesterol: 8 mg