I love celebrations and special events.
It just breaks up the routine in life and gives me something to look forward to.
May just happened to be THE month for celebrations and parties.
Weekend one: a friend’s wedding.
Weekend two: Mother’s Day.
Weekend three: my birthday part one.
Weekend four: my birthday celebration part two.
Weekend five: Matt’s birthday and birthday celebration part three for me.
Lots of good times this month.
And not just because my birthday was celebrated three times.
For my birthday celebration part two, it was a gorgeous day, so Matt and I decided to go out and have a picnic and then rent some double bikes.
Which were awesome by the way. You should totally check them out if you get a chance.
I always find picnics are kinda awkward.
It’s always the big debate as to whether I should pack a solid lunch or just gather a bunch of random odds and ends around the house to nibble on.
I decided to go with option one.
Pack a good solid lunch.
If I have a choice between nibbles or something solid, I’ll always go with the more balanced and satisfying meal.
It just makes me feel better.
In the morning on a whim, I decided to quickly whip up these Peanut Chicken Wraps with an Asian flair.
Especially after the cake, ice cream sundaes, cupcakes and more cake.
But tasty enough to feel like we were having a special birthday lunch.
I love these wraps because I could pack the chicken with peanut sauce in one container, the veg and other toppings in another container and throw some wraps in a ziploc bag. And then simply assemble when we arrived at our picnic destination.
The end result to this strategic move?
Honestly, soggy wraps just aren’t that delicious.
These wraps were also super filling.
Perfectly balanced with fibre, protein and healthy fats, which gave us plenty of energy to ride our double bikes.
But let’s just focus on the goodness of the wraps.
Not his almost-ran-us-off-the-road-into-the-bush steering….
We’ll save that for another time..
- 2 Tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 heaping Tbsp. Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp honey
- 2 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp. water
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 small cooked chicken breasts, chopped into smaller cubes
- 2 large whole grain tortillas
- 3 cups loosely packed, fresh spinach leaves
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot “ribboned” using a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- Combine the first twelve ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Add additional water to thin out the sauce if it’s too thick. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss until all of the chicken chunks are evenly coated with the sauce.
- Place each of the wraps on a flat surface.
- Divide the spinach between both wraps, covering evenly. Next lay out the carrot ribbons and top with chicken mixture.
- Evenly distribute the green onions and parsley on top of the chicken.
- Once everything is divided between the wraps, roll them up, as tightly as possible. Cut them in half on the diagonal, and skewer each half with a toothpick to prevent wraps from unwrapping.
Nutrients per serving (one whole wrap):
Calories: 417 • Fat: 15 g • Carbohydrates: 32g • Fibre: 6g • Protein: 38g • Sugar: 6g • Sodium: 670mg • Cholesterol: 0mg