These spicy chicken kabobs taste like BBQ chips! They are a quick, easy and healthy paleo and gluten-free option as well!
A few weeks ago, Matt and I were wandering through some little shops in town and we found this really unique Chili Garlic sauce. I’d never seen a sauce like it before.
That weekend, not really knowing what exactly to do with the sauce, I decided to experiment with it by mixing some into a shrimp stir fry.
And guess what….
It was DELICIOUS!
Of course, me, while munching away on my stir fry started thinking out loud.
My crazy active brain is always thinking about nutrition, fitness and how to make recipes healthier.
“I wonder if I could come up with a homemade chili garlic sauce that tastes like this?”
Matt, being the supportive boyfriend he is, said, “you should try it sometime.”
I started studying the ingredients list.
“Sounds easy enough,” I said.
The next week, I made it my mission to come up with a chili garlic sauce like the one we’d had on our stir fry.
I don’t know if I came up with THE exact chili garlic sauce that we had that night on our stir fry, but the one I came up with tasted pretty darn good.
I decided to use it as a marinade for some chicken and make some kabobs one night for a family BBQ.
When I served it at dinner, my dad commented “this chicken tastes like BBQ chips!”
When I first set out to create a chili garlic sauce, I was not expecting to come up with chicken that tasted like BBQ chips.
But low and behold, I had invented something completely unexpected.
Something completely mouthwatering.
And something completely healthy.
That, in my opinion, is the best type of recipe.
So that night BBQ Chips Chicken Kabobs were born.
If you’ve got a craving for BBQ chips, this one is for you!
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2-1 tbsp. cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2-1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Place the cubed chicken breasts in a bowl and coat with the chili garlic sauce.
- Place in refrigerator and allow chicken cubes to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat BBQ to high.
- Evenly distribute cubed chicken on skewers and place on BBQ. Turn BBQ down to medium low and cook chicken for 5 minutes.
- Flip chicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until cooked through.