This healthy coleslaw has just the right amount of sweetness and crunchiness. A secret ingredient adds a touch of creaminess with no mayo! A vegetarian and gluten-free option, perfect for BBQ season!
When I think of summer BBQ’s, often times I get visions of a whole array of salads lined up on a table.
And of course, coleslaw.
I think a nice crispy, slightly tangy coleslaw compliments a burger or side of grilled chicken so well.
And a BBQ really isn’t a BBQ without a creamy coleslaw.
But oftentimes, guests resort to bringing store-bought coleslaw.
Now don’t get me wrong, I appreciate their efforts.
I really do.
But suddenly that feeling of, “Mmmmmm I’m craving coleslaw”
….it just disappears.
It instantly turns into a slight gag reaction as I get images of that green mushy coleslaw in a plastic container.
You KNOW the one I’m talking about.
That to me is not even coleslaw.
It’s green mush.
But oftentimes, when you attempt to make a creamy coleslaw from scratch, it leads to heaps of mayo.
Because what else do you use to make it creamy, and still healthy??
Greek yogurt to the rescue.
Greek yogurt is a great replacement for mayo.
Plus, it’s a lot lower in fat and calories, and higher in protein.
Mix it in with some other tasty ingredients like garlic, Dijon mustard, a touch of maple syrup and apple cider vinegar, and it makes the perfect dressing.
Throw in some chopped walnuts and dried cranberries, and you get this amazing balance of crunchy, sweetness and creaminess.
Not to mention some extra fibre, antioxidants and omega 3s!
Kkkk, I seriously need some coleslaw,
Like right now…
- 1.5 cups purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 1.5 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup cranberries, dried
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the dressing.
- In a larger bowl, mix the cabbage, walnuts, cranberries, carrot and green onions. Pour in the dressing and toss until evenly distributed.
- Eat immediately or store in the refrigerator for later use.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 115 • Fat: 7 g • Carbohydrates: 12 g • Fibre: 2 g • Protein: 3 g • Sugar: 8 g • Sodium: 64 mg • Cholesterol: 0 mg