This smokey sweet potato hummus is super favourable and can be used as a healthy spread or dip! It’s also low in calories, vegan and gluten-free! What’s not to love?
Sweet potatoes are one of those foods that I could eat every day.
I mean it.
Every. Single. Day.
It’s similar to the feelings that I have for oatmeal and peanut butter.
These foods need to FREQUENTLY be on my meal rotation, otherwise I’m not a very happy person.
When I see an opportunity to incorporate sweet potato into any dish or meal, I take it.
There’s something about the sweet mellow taste that just totally draws me in.
Now hummus is also something that I LOVE.
It’s so flavourful, so versatile and so healthy.
Dip veggies or pita chips in it for an afternoon snack, spread it on a wrap or pita for extra flavour at lunch, and even use it as a base for pizza!
Because I love sweet potatoes and I also love hummus, I decided to marry the sweet potatoes with the hummus to create….
Sweet potato hummus!!
And sooo delicious.
I strongly recommend using smoked paprika in this hummus. It brings out this amazing smokey flavour that kicks it up a notch.
I made a super huge batch of this hummus the other day it and I’ve been eating it on pretty much everything.
Mixed it in with tuna, diluted it to make a salad dressing, spread it in a pita with some grilled chicken.
Sometimes you just gotta get creative.
I’m pretty sure I’ve used the stuff in every possible way that you can use hummus.
And I’m still not sick of it…
Hope you enjoy!!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Peel sweet potato and cut up into 1 ½ inch cubes. Bring potato cubes to a boil over medium high heat. Once it starts to boil, turn down to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft when pricked with a fork.
- Place cooked sweet potato and remaining ingredients in large food processor. Cover and process until smooth. If required, add 1 tbsp. of water at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours to allow flavours to blend together.
Nutrients per serving (for approximately one tablespoon hummus):
Servings: 32 • Calories: 47 • Fat: 3g • Carbohydrates: 3 g • Fibre: 1 g • Protein: 1 g • Sugar: 0 g • Sodium: 58 mg • Cholesterol: 0 mg