These energy bites have a refreshing lemon flavour that’s incredibly addictive! They make the perfect portable snack or healthy treat! Vegan & gluten-free.
I can’t believe that Easter is this weekend! Where has the time gone this year?? I have to say that I’m definitely ready for the nice Spring weather. SO done with winter! At the beginning of Spring, I always start to crave light and refreshing recipes. And these lemon coconut energy balls meet that exact criteria! The lemon zest adds that refreshing burst of flavour….it’s hard to stop at just one!
And did I mention that this recipe only has 5 ingredients?! I’m all about simplicity, because really, who feels like slaving over making energy balls for hours and hours? They’re supposed to give you a boost of energy, not suck it all out of you before you even eat one! Overall, these bites are a source of fibre, as well as healthy fats and magnesium. I love making up a big batch and storing them in the freezer for a quick and easy snack on the go! Storing them in the freezer can also help the family pace themselves so they don’t get eaten all at once! With these delicious bites, it’s not hard to do…
Serve them up as a healthier Easter dessert during brunch OR you can even put them in the kids’ Easter baskets as a healthier alternative to all of those chocolate bunnies. I’m sure they won’t complain one bit ;)
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- Zest of one lemon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut, plus additional for rolling the bites in
- Boil some water and soak dates in the hot water for approximately 5 minutes to soften.
- Add almonds and cashews to food processor. Pulse until nuts are finely chopped (but not a paste).
- Add dates, lemon zest, and coconut and pulse until dates are finely chopped and the mixture starts to clump.
- Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in coconut. Seal in container and store in fridge or freezer.
Nutrients per serving (for one energy bite):
Servings: 29 • Calories: 77• Fat: 4g • Carbohydrates: 9g • Fibre: 1g • Protein: 1g • Sugar: 6g • Sodium: 1mg • Cholesterol: 0mg