These energy bites are like eating trail mix in a ball! Quick, easy and heart-healthy!
These energy bites are seriously the best! Whenever I get the urge to whip up a batch of energy bites, these are always my go to. They are super easy to make, only requiring one bowl (less dishes!!), and taste absolutely delicious! Nutty with a bit of chocolate-ly flavour and just the right amount of crunch. They’re not only a great source of heart healthy fats and fibre from the nuts, seeds and flaxseed, but also have a kick of antioxidants from the dark chocolate. I love snacking on these pre or post workout along with some Greek yogurt for some extra protein. Totally hits the spot and satisfies that sweet tooth! Plus, you can make a double batch and freeze them for a quick and easy snack on the go! Who doesn’t love quick, awesome and healthy snacks? This one is always a winner!
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup raw sliced almonds, crushed, for garnish
- Mix all the ingredients together (except for the sliced almonds) until everything is well incorporated. Refrigerate mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, place sliced almonds in a Ziploc bag and close the bag. Crush the sliced almonds with your hands or the back of a spoon until almonds are broken down into smaller pieces. Pour crushed almonds into a bowl.
- Next, remove almond butter mixture from the fridge and spoon out a heaping tablespoon and roll into a ball. Roll the ball into the crushed almonds until the surface is coated. Repeat until all of the mixture is used.
Nutrients per serving (for one energy bite): Servings: 28• Calories: 113 • Fat: 8 g • Carbohydrates: 9g • Fibre: 3g • Protein: 3 g • Sugar: 4 g • Sodium: 20 mg • Cholesterol: 0 mg