This vegetable side dish is filled with green beans, red peppers, parmesan cheese and sliced almonds. It adds a pop of colour and flavour to any feast! Perfect for the holidays… or anytime! Vegetarian and gluten-free.
I remember a few years ago when we had the whole family over for Christmas, my mom started freaking out because she didn’t know what to do for vegetables.
She was so frazzled trying to get the turkey ready and keep everything else warm at the same time that she COMPLETELY forgot about the vegetables.
Now don’t get me wrong.
Normally we have a great turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing….but the vegetables?
Usually just plain ol’ limp and lifeless green beans.
The vegetables happen to be one of my favourite parts of the meal, so I knew that we seriously needed to spruce up the beans.
That’s where the inspiration for these Green Beans with Red Peppers, Almonds & Parmesan came from.
Aren’t they festive?
I love how they look so Christmas-y with the red and green! And the parmesan cheese almost looks like snow!
Plus, this veggie dish has a nice flavour and crunch with the addition of the parmesan cheese and almonds.
It pairs perfectly with the rest of the holiday feast, and adds a pop of Christmas of Christmas colours to the plate!
Green beans are also full of silicon, which is great for gorgeous hair! Who doesn’t want pretty hair for Christmas?!
Plus the vitamin C in the red peppers can help build up a healthy immune system to ward off cold and flu!
After all, no one wants to be sick over Christmas!
I’ve been there before….it’s NO FUN.
I can’t wait to add this side of veggies during the holidays for a fresh pop of colour and flavour!
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut green beans in half crosswise. In large pot of boiling water, cook beans for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain. Rinse under cold water. Drain well.
- In large nonstick frying pan, cook almonds over medium heat until golden and fragrant, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Transfer to small dish.
- Add oil to pan; heat over medium-high heat. Cook onions until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in red peppers, greenbeans and salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are tender-crisp and beans are hot, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in almonds. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Nutrients per serving:
Servings: 6 • Calories: 119 • Fat: 8 g • Carbohydrates: 9 g • Fibre: 4 g • Protein: 4 g • Sugar: 3 g • Sodium: 63 mg • Cholesterol: 2 mg