This dish is super easy to make, but tastes like it took hours to prepare! It’s light, yet still very filling and packed full of flavour. A family favourite!
Lately, I’ve been obsessed with my spiralizer and coming up with new and creative ways to use it. My latest creation is this scallop and pistachio mint pesto over a bed of zucchini noodles. It’s seriously tastes like a fancy restaurant meal! The pistachio and mint combination is SO refreshing and flavourful and with the heaping mound of spiralized zucchini, you don’t even miss the regular pasta! Scallops are something that we don’t eat a lot of, but I absolutely love them! When I tossed some scallops together with this minty pistachio pesto, I instantly knew it was meant to be. This meal is easy enough to make on a week night, but tasty enough to feel like you went all out. It’s also packed with protein and healthy fats, and lower in carbohydrates. By subbing in the zucchini for regular noodles, it’s the perfect way to ensure that you’re getting in at least two servings of vegetables at meal time. This has definitely become a favourite in our house!
- 1lb scallops
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- One handful of mint leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Place the scallops in a shallow dish and sprinkle with the olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the pesto, put the nuts, mint, garlic, and scallions in a mini food processor or blender and blend coarsely. Add the oil and puree until fairly smooth and bright green. Stir in the vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside while you prepare the scallops, or store in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- In a large frying pan, over medium heat, cook the zucchini noodles for about 2-3 minutes, tossing occasionally until heated through. Set aside in a bowl. Next, in the same frying pan, sauté red pepper for 1-2 minutes, add the scallop and oil mixture and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the scallops are cooked through. Do not overcook the scallops or they will be tough. Add the zucchini noodles back to the pan and toss with half the pesto until well combined. Store the remaining pesto in the fridge for later use.
- Evenly distribute the zucchini noodles and scallop mixture on each plate. Sprinkle each serving with lemon juice.
Nutrients per serving (using only half the pesto)
Servings: 4• Calories: 433 • Fat: 33 g • Carbohydrates: 12 g • Fibre: 3g • Protein: 23g • Sugar: 4g • Sodium: 196 mg • Cholesterol: 37mg