So let’s talk about pizza.
Who doesn’t love a good pizza? Especially a good pizza that’s good for you?
Unfortunately, many pizzas are loaded with heaps of cheese. Think three cheese deluxe.
Or wrapped with bacon and smothered with a choice of three more meats.
And loaded with so much greasiness that you need to blot it with a paper towel.
I don’t know about you, but I’m not a big fan of slippery pizza.
And then of course, there’s maybe one mushroom or green pepper to add a bit of colour.
I like to customize my pizza so that there’s a bit of crispiness, some protein to fill me up, and of course some veggies for the extra bulk and fibre so that I’m not starving after two slices.
And did I mention ricotta cheese? Adding ricotta cheese is my little secret for adding some creamy decadence to my pizza without all of the fat associated with dousing the pizza in loads of greasy cheese.
I also love a quick easy meal.
Enter the pita pizza.
It’s super balanced because it can be made in less than 20 minutes.
I call this the no-excuses pizza because you can make it in just as much time, if not less, than it takes to call the pizza delivery guy.
If the pizza guy is on speed dial, you seriously need to check out this pizza.
- 1 100% whole wheat pita
- ½ cup chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup marinara sauce
- ¼ cup baby spinach
- 2 tbsp. light ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp. shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place pita on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over pita. Spread oil evenly over the surface. Top the pita with marinara sauce and spread over the surface, leaving about half an inch around the edge.
- Evenly distribute spinach and ricotta cheese on top of the marinara sauce.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over chopped chicken breast and toss to coat. Distribute chunks of chicken evenly over the pizza.
- Top with a light sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and crispy. Enjoy!
Nutrition per serving (for half of a pizza):
Calories: 218 • Fat: 6 g • Carbohydrates: 22 g • Fibre: 3 g • Protein: 19 g • Sugar: 3 g • Sodium: 339 mg • Cholesterol: 38 mg