This vegetarian quinoa salad is bursting with southwestern flavours and make the perfect healthy main dish or side!
I absolutely love quinoa and I’m always looking for new ways to spruce it up! Lately Matt and I have been basing a lot of our meals on a Mexican theme because we really enjoy the flavours. We decided to make each weekend a different cuisine to inspire us to try different recipes from around the world. It’s a great concept….except we keep doing Mexican over and over again because we just can’t get enough!
One weekend, along with the rest of our Mexican spread we made this Southwestern Quinoa Salad. It was so delicious and refreshing…perfect for the warmer temperatures! With every bite, it just reminded me of summer. This salad is filling enough to be served as a main dish because it’s packed full of fibre and protein, but it can also be served as a side.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 2 cups no salt added chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large handful parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add quinoa and cumin. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, corn kernels, beans, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and onion. Pour lemon dressing over top and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate salad for at least 1 hour to allow flavours to meld, or up to 2 days.
Nutrients per serving:
Servings: 8 • Calories: 221 • Fat: 11 g • Carbohydrates: 26 g • Fibre: 4.5 g • Protein: 6 g • Sugar: 2 g • Sodium: 23 mg • Cholesterol: 0 mg