This healthy soup is easy to make and packed full of flavour! Who needs takeout when you can make this Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup?
Ever since I moved in with Matt a few weeks ago, I’ve been on this huge recipe-experimenting kick. Since we both work full-time and generally don’t get home until 6 or 7pm, I was determined to plan all of our weeknight meals in advance to avoid coming home and getting all stressed out about what we could have for dinner. I make my weekly menu plan on Sunday, generate a grocery list, go shopping and do as much prep as possible on the weekend. I highly recommend this method..not only will it help you stay on track health-wise because you’ll be less likely to go for those processed convenience foods, but it will also save you so much time and stress in the long run! Plus, it can help save money because you’ll know exactly what you need to buy at the grocery store!
One of the recipes that has become a regular item on our menu rotation is this Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup. It is SO delicious and tastes just like take-out! It’s very filling because it basically has the grains, protein and vegetables all packed in one mouth-watering bowl of soup. I also love that it’s SO easy to prepare! We can basically come home, get it all cooking up in the pot and eat within 30 minutes! These types of recipes are my new favourite weeknight meals. Easy, stress-free and healthy!
- ½ cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 400mL can unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add shrimp, salt and pepper, to taste (optional). Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic, onion and bell pepper to the stockpot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in curry paste until well combined, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in coconut milk and chicken broth, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in rice, shrimp, lime juice and parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Damn Delicious
Servings: 5 • Calories: 381 • Fat: 21 g • Carbohydrates: 22 g • Fibre: 1 g • Protein: 25 g • Sugar: 5 g • Sodium: 431 mg • Cholesterol: 176 mg