Yesterday, we had a backyard BBQ to celebrate Canada Day.
I’m gonna be brutally honest here.
It did NOT feel like summer.
One minute it was dark and cloudy.
The next minute it was windy.
The next minute the sun popped out.
And then I felt a drop of rain on my head.
What the heck?!
Very disappointing considering it was the first day of July.
I keep coming up with super summery recipes in hope that it will make me feel a little more summery.
I haven’t even worn a pair of shorts yet this year!
Now lately, I’ve been on a bit of a pina colada kick.
I’ve always been a huge fan of all those tropical flavours.
Even the smell just reminds me of oceans, coconuts, and suntan lotion.
I’m sure that you’re starting to understand that I try to health-i-fy everything.
Hard to find the off button on my dietitian brain.
I decided to whip up a healthier higher protein version of a Pina Colada that still mimics the tropical taste without all of the added sugar.
This little tropical experiment was actually the inspiration for these Pina Colada Overnight Oats that I posted several weeks ago.
Definitely on a summer recipe kick.
FYI, this makes a perfect post workout smoothie due to the protein and quick absorbing carbs!
If you’re craving the taste of summer, you gotta try this out!
- 1 ½ cups crushed pineapple (fresh or canned)
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- Top with sprinkle of unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
Nutrients per serving:
• Calories: 168 • Fat: 5g • Carbohydrates: 23g • Fibre: 2g • Protein: 10g • Sugar: 18g • Sodium: 107mg • Cholesterol: 29mg